Cortical Visual Impairment:
An Approach to Assessment and Intervention
By Christine Roman-Lantzy
The current leading cause of visual impairment among children is not a disease or condition of the eyes, but cortical visual impairment (CVI)—also known as cerebral visual impairment—in which visual dysfunction is caused by damage or injury to the brain. The definition, nature, and treatment of CVI are the focus of great concern and widespread debate, and this complex condition poses challenges to professionals and families seeking to support the growth and development of visually impaired children. On the basis of more than 30 years’ experience in working with hundreds of children of all ages with CVI, Christine Roman-Lantzy has developed a set of unique assessment tools and systematic, targeted principles whose use has helped children learn to use their vision more effectively. This one-of-a-kind resource provides readers with both a conceptual framework with which to understand working with CVI and concrete strategies to apply directly in their work.
- Roman, C. & Masden, D. “Educational Visual Assessment for Infants (Birth-3),” 1991, revised, Roman, 1994
- Roman, C. A., & Zimmerman, G. J. Mediated learning experiences and the orientation and mobility Process. RE:view, #2, 1994
- Zimmerman, G. J. & Roman,C.A., Program Design and Implementation. In Blasch, B., Wiener, W. & Welsh, R. (Eds.), Foundations of Orientation and Mobility. 1999.
- Utley, B. & Roman, C. A., Assessment of Children with Visual Impairment with Additional Disabilities. In Sacks & Silberman, (Eds.), Children with Visual Impairment & Additional Disabilities. 1999.
- Edelman, Lashbrook, Roman, C.A., Cortical Visual Impairment Foundational Principles and Educational Considerations. In. Dennison & Lueck (Eds), Proceedings Summit on Cerebral/Cortical Visual Impairment. 2006.
- Roman-Lantzy, C.A., Cortical Visual Impairment:An Approach to Assessment & Intervention, American Foundation for the Blind, NY, 2007.
- Roman-Lantzy, C A., Baker Nobles, L., Dutton, G., Evans Luiselli, T., Flener, B., Jan, J.J., Lantzy, A., Matsuba, C., Mayer, L., Newcomb, S., Nielsen, A. 2010. Statement on cortical visual impairment, Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, AFB, New York, N.Y.
- Roman Lantzy, C. A. & Lantzy, A., Cortical Visual Impairment: Outcomes and opportunities, Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 2010, AFB Press, NYC, N.Y..
- Roman, C.A., Orientation & Mobility for students with Cortical Visual Impairment. In Blash, B. Wiener, W. Welsh, R. (Eds.) Foundations of Orientation and Mobility. 2010
- Dodson Burk, B. & Roman, C. The Preschool O&M Screening 2012, AER Pub.
- Roman Lantzy, C. A., Trettel, M. Cortical visual impairment and autism spectrum disorders: Shared behaviors not shared diagnosis. (submitted for review)
- Jan, J. E., Heaven, K.B., Matsuba, C., Langley, M.B., Roman Lantzy, C.A., & Anthony, T., Windows into the visual brain. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 2013, AFB Press, NYC, N.Y.